How To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies 5 Home Remedies
How To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies | Vinegar flies, or more commonly known fruit flies are a common nuisance for any household or grocery store with fruits and vegetables on display. These flies are only attracted to ripe fruits and vegetables. Although you can find them in your garbage cans, garbage bags or drains. These flies breed quick and become extremely difficult to lose once they multiply in numbers.
Fruit flies, as the name suggests, are largely attracted to ripened or overripe fruits and vegetables. They are also found in places where there is stagnant water or organic waste and other garbage is stored or disposed of such as trash cans, dustbins, pits and so on. Wet or moist organic surfaces are the places where fruit flies breed. Female fruit flies lay hundreds of eggs which, in a very short time produce larvae that we commonly know as maggots.
Having a typical life cycle of some 30 days and an extremely fast ability to multiply in number, fruit flies can be a real trouble in the house and even more in the kitchen. Within a few days, their number can shoot up and you may find yourself battling swarms of fruit flies in no time. There are a number of methods that you may like to use in order to get rid of those fruit flies. But one of the most inexpensive, convenient and effective methods is to make an apple cider vinegar trap for them.
Fruit flies are small in stature. Even though fruit flies do not bite, these carry many bacteria and diseases. Therefore, it is necessary to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Why is It Easy to Outsmart Fruit Flies?
Fruit flies do not necessarily only target fruits; they can be attracted due to ripening vegetables as well and if you have fruits or vegetables in your garden you’ll find this type of fly buzzing around your ripest of ripe produce. These flies only require a wet and moist surface to breed. The fruit flies are dangerous because they are dirty, and carry unhealthy diseases and bacteria. These irritating flies are quite easy to fool, which is a plus point.
The adults of this species focus their time on making and quickly laying eggs. This leads to a quick multiplication of their numbers. But this is the very reason why these flies are caught easily. You can get rid of these flies by using a simple vinegar trap which you make at home or use wine, or use other homemade traps made out of Milk, Sugar, and pepper.
Another way of getting rid of these flies is to use cloves or rue. You can also find many products that repel fruit flies and stop their infestation if you are facing a huge number of fruit flies. These products can be easily found in a store. Apart from this to keep the fruit flies away store your fruits in the refrigerator, carefully wash and scrub your trash cans and get rid of overripe fruits and vegetables.
How to Identify Gnats & Fruit Flies
Gnats and fruit flies are both flies and are of small stature. The look similar and therefore it is extremely hard to differentiate one from the other one.
Fruit flies, as the name suggests are only attracted to fruits and vegetables. These flies can be found indoors and around the moist and warm environment, which is favorable for the breeding of these flies. Flies do not bite. These flies have red eyes and when they grow into adults their body color becomes brown-orange or beige. These fruit flies can be brought in by other materials, fruits or vegetables as carriers. These flies can breed on.
Gnats, on the other hand, are almost of the same size but aren’t attracted to fruits or vegetables. It has long legs and isn’t great at flying. Gnats stay around decaying or decomposing organic matter. You can recognize gnats because of their distinct shiny black bodies or gray bodies. Some gnats may be found indoors as they breed indoors. Most gnats do not bite, but a few of them depend on blood. Unlike mosquitoes, these gnats cannot bite through the layer of clothes. But they do creep their way in on hair or open areas such as ankles.
Also Read: How to Get Rid Of Gnats
Types of Gnats & Fruit Flies
The Latin name for fruit flies is “Drosophila Melanogaster”. It is a small fly, found around fruits, vegetables, and garbage cans. There are various kinds of fruits flies which are named here- Mexican Fruit Flies, Olive Fruit Flies, Western Cherry Fruit Flies, Citrus Fruit Flies, Caribbean Fruit Flies and Mediterranean Fruit Flies.
The Latin name for gnats is “Order Diptera”. These are small flies, with long legs and weak wings. They usually exist around decomposing and decaying organic matter. There are many different types of gnats, the names of which are- Fungus Gnats, Eye Gnats, Buffalo gnats, Black gnats, Sand Gnats and Gall Gnats. Buffalo gnats are those gnats that bite.
Is Vinegar Trap a Good Solution
Vinegar traps are one of the most efficient ways to get rid of fruit flies. You can create a vinegar trap by simply pouring some apple cider vinegar into a jar. Pour enough vinegar to fill up the bottom of the dishwashing pinch of dishwashing detergent. This is done to make sure the flies do not merely sit on the vinegar and sink into the solution you have created. Put the jar near the fruits and within a day you’ll get rid of the flies. Apple cider vinegar works best for the trap, but you can use any kind of vinegar. While constructing a vinegar trap, remember to add something to the solution that will attract the flies. And do not forget to add an extra agent that will make the trapped flies stay where they are.
How to Make a Vinegar Trap
Making a vinegar trap is an easy and cost-effective method to trap those rapidly multiplying fruit flies. You would require a few basic things to get started: some apple cider vinegar, a few drops of liquid dish soap, a container such as a bowl, a cup or a glass, a plastic bag and a pair of scissors. Once you have gathered all these materials, which are pretty easy to obtain, here is how you need to go about making the trap.
- First, take the container and add a little bit of apple cider vinegar to it, say, about half to one-fourth of a small cup. As mentioned before, fruit flies get attracted to rotting or overripe fruits. Apple cider vinegar has a smell similar to those and hence attracts the fruit flies.
- Then add a few drops of the liquid soap over the apple cider vinegar. Soaps basically have low surface tension, which facilitates the trapping of the fruit flies by making it difficult for them to escape and by eventually killing them.
- Now cut off the plastic bag in such a manner that you make small holes in it which will allow fruit flies to enter but will make it pretty hard for them to get out of the enclosure.
- Now place the plastic bag over the container and fix it using either a cello tape or a rubber band and in doing so, do not allow the plastic bag to touch the liquid surface.
Your vinegar fly trap is now ready for use.
How to Use Vinegar Trap
- Once you have made the apple cider vinegar fruit fly trap, you need to find a suitable and strategic place to keep it. Notice in which area do you most often find fruit flies buzzing around. It may be near the trash can, the fruit basket or any other place having organic waste or standing water. Once you have placed the vinegar trap in an area, you may soon find fruit flies beginning to get trapped in it.
- You also might need to keep replacing the contents of the trap every few days – add the apple cider vinegar followed by drops of dish soap after emptying the contents.
In a few days, you will see the results.
Benefits of Using Vinegar
There are two major benefits of using apple cider vinegar.
- The first is that owing to its fruity smell, the fruit flies get attracted to it and hence this property of vinegar plays an important role in trapping them.
- Another benefit of using it is that vinegar is readily available and you need not go to great lengths to simply get the materials. Many of you may even already have it in your house.
Is Vinegar An Attractive Trap To Follow?
Fruit flies are apparently attracted to vinegar. On the off hand, the reason why the apple cider vinegar is preferred to make a trap is that the element is available generally in our homes and making a trap out of it is cost effective and yes, effective as for getting rid of flies too. Moreover, this is one reason why the flies are also termed as vinegar flies. Apple Cider Vinegar has a pleasant scent, moreover, a fruity one. This ensures the flies are attracted. This aspect makes the vinegar trap, one of the best.
Tips and Warnings
It may be that getting rid of fruit flies sounds very easy, but there are some tips and warnings that one must keep in mind in order to get the best possible results in a short period of time.
- If your kitchen is heavily infested with fruit flies in different areas, then you might want to place more than one trap. This should not be difficult since they require very little time and effort to make.
- Also, ensure that the fruit flies do not find a place to breed in the house. For this, remove any rotting fruits or vegetables that may be present, ensure that there is no stagnant water anywhere, keep a check and regularly clean the drains and clean out any waste bins or trash cans you may have. Remember that maintaining hygienic surroundings is the key here.
Do keep in mind that although fruit flies themselves may not be harmful to human beings, however, they may be carrying disease-causing bacteria with them since they land in various places. So it is important to get rid of fruit flies, not only because they can be extremely troublesome, especially in large numbers, but also because of the disease-causing germs they may be carrying with them
How to Prevent Fruit Fly Infestations
Insects and flies are some of the worst things to have in a house or in a kitchen. Having them in the kitchen and working peacefully is parallel impossible. Once they are in the kitchen they breed at tremendous speed. Their growth is nearly impossible to stop. It’s a myth that they die in 24 hours research has found that they can survive till 2 weeks and some special species can survive two months. Now in such a long span a female fly lay the egg of about 100 per day and imagining their growth they need to stop. Here are some methods for that.
So the first step and to the root step could be said to stop their breeding and feeding place. They normally have their food and sit on the rotten fruits or vegetables. They are attacked towards the broken and rotten things in the house and especially in the kitchen. So, firstly one needs to identify the place and things on which they can lay their eggs and then destroy the source. This can be the first step to prevent them from growing in the house and kitchen.
Second thing can be done is that never keep open the garbage or dustbins in the kitchen.
They are more attracted towards it and would eventually lay eggs in them. One should always cover the garbage and should not leave it open in the house or in the backyard as they sit there the most and can spread the diseases as well.
Thus, they may require some treatment but the lacking in their food would eventually lead to their decreasing number and the kitchen would be free from the flies and the house would be free from the diseases.
How To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies
5 Home Remedies to Get Rid Of Fruit Flies
Apple Cider Vinegar Trap
Now, some home remedies to get rid of flies in the house. As it is known that flies are attracted to the smell of something sweet and fruity the apple cider vinegar is best for them. One needs to heat the vinegar beforehand and then place it in a location where there are most of the flies. After doing this drop a two to three drops of dish wash liquid as that would allow them to sit there and then cover it with the funnel shape funnel. By doing this they would go in but won the ability to come out and would drown in it.
Jar-Type Trap with Fruit
In this trap, one need to provide them with the feast. As they are called fruit flies they love the aroma of fruits and so one needs to use them for a trap. Take a jab and fill it with the rip fruits or all most rotten fruits and then cover it with the plastic. After that poke some holes into them so that it would allow them to go inside. Once they are inside they can’t come out. Once the jar is full of files get them into warm water and after 10 min they are gone for good.
Merry Fly Trap
A drunken fly is a very insane thought but can be used. Take a bottle and fill it with a red vine. Aroma of the vine would attract them and then they would die a drunken death in all. A bowl can also be used for it if a bottle is not present.
Tried and True Trap
In the trap, one needs three things like milk, pepper, and ground sugar. Mix them and keep it aside for 10 min. then pour it into a shallow bowl and keep it in a place where flies are found most. They are drowning to the mixture and eventually would get drown in the mixture and will be dead soon enough.
It is one of the most effective methods. One needs to boil two cup water and add some amount of lemongrass into it, after that boil the mixture properly. After the whole thing is done get it into a spray bottle and spray it along the house and the places where they are found most. They would magically go for good.
Preventing Fruit Flies in the Future
After working on all these things it is the essential thing it is important that they don’t occur in the future. For that one should always keep the fruits clean and ripe and covered. The garbage should be thrown properly and the dustbin should be cover always to prevent them from sitting on it. Keep the kitchen clean as much as possible and broken eggs outside the house. This all things would help to prevent them in the future in the house and would not spread any disease.
Just to make sure that your efforts don’t go in vain, pay attention to these areas:
- Ensure the bowls are washed clean before you arrange the fruits and get rid of fruits that get rotten quickly.
- Washing bins with warm or simply, soapy water is a must, at least occasionally.
- Avoid throwing fruits within the kitchen space. It is suggested that you throw the fruit-waste and the vegetable-waste in the outdoor recycle bin in the first place or place it directly onto the compost heap. This way, you won’t attract gnats inside your home.
- Clean the appliances in the kitchen once a month. Here, cleaning includes making the behind and underneath of the appliances dust-free. If you can find split juice under a refrigerator, know that the fruit flies have had a super happy breeding time.
- Cleaning the drains also plays a major role. Make the cleaning process a monthly call or every 2 weeks is suggestible too. You can always take the help of bleach, which is readily available, ammonia or any given product that helps you clean the drain.
- Damp cloths, sponges, and mops will certainly attract fruit flies. Make sure they are dried as much as possible post work. Old sponges, cloths, and other mop heads that are not required or not for any further use can stay out of the home.
- Leaving fresh fruits uncovered, specifically where there is room temperature is not a thing to do. Make sure to store them carefully. Either cover it or push it to the little space in the fridge.
Now that you have taken enough steps to eradicate the family of fruit flies, you can also do a little bit of inspection from time to time.
The inspection might include a check on the fresh produce in your home, disposing the broken skin and washing every piece of fruit, drying and properly storing it. Make sure to come up with at least one trap during the summer time. Install screens for the windows and doors. You can always use essential oils with water to make a spray. Spray it in the drain, sink and bin spaces wherein the fruit flies can possibly be invited.
These are not going to take much of your time and will not be a tough task if you make it a routine. Consider picking the fruits out early if you have fruit-bearing trees in your backyard. You can, in fact, hang a fruit trap in the branches for better results.
People always need to take care that the flies don’t increase the number and should prevent it as soon as possible. There are various home remedies as well as the treatment which can be done to stop them from spreading in the house. It is essential to get rid of them as they spread a lot of diseases.